Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Saldanha Weekend Outreach!


This past weekend I had the pleasure of serving a church and community in Saldanha Bay. We arrived there Friday evening and I was still pretty sick. I'm feeling much better now, but getting through the weekend was a challenge. Friday night we had a huge dinner at the pastor's house and his family was so nice and welcoming. We were all divided into groups of about three and distributed into homes of church members for the night. A huge blessing: Saldanha is the town next to Vredenburg where Vickey's grandparents live. So Hope, Vickey and I were able to spend the two nights there. It felt like being home again! Saturday we had some time at the beach and then went to the center of a community. On a dirt lot we set up tables and caution tape to form lines for giving out food. We spent a good long time playing with the children of the community and of course I fell in love with plenty of little babies there! Holding and squeezing the children made my weekend. When I am put in situations like this, I know God has brought me there. I feel completely in the right place at the right time and totally content with life. It's a beautiful thing!

Sunday we went to the church of the pastor who fed us. The transportation broke down so we used the YWAM cars to pick up all the people of the church. So church was very late, but once it got started it was great. A group of us, including me, did a dramatic dance to display the love and relationship of Jesus Christ without words. Its a beautiful dance and I was very excited to be apart of it. After the dance a few of us were asked to share our testimony, including me. It was very nice to speak in front of the congregation and it helps me get better at preaching to crowds of people I don't know. I know I will have to do a lot of this on outreach. It's very nice and I pray that people are touched by the things I say.

After church I spoke to my DTS leader, Doug, and he asked me to come back and staff the next DTS in January. This is VERY exciting to me but also very scary! I would love to come back to Worcester, but I know it will cost money. Ugh I hate money, but if this is a God thing I know he will provide.  I am praying about it a lot. I still want to do a bible core course this fall but that too will cost more money. I am waiting on God for a financial miracle... AMEN! Haha.

This weeks lesson is on sexuality. It has been quite the experience so far and God is really challenging my views on things I haven't thought of. I am excited to watch God work through us and I expect more major breakthroughs from myself and others this week. Our speaker is Frans and he and his wife have been a great team in this teaching. He has used a lot of humor to make this subject more comfortable. Amen! It's  very interesting and I am surprised how much the bible talks about the topic of sex. I had no idea (that's why I need the bible core course!!!). I am enjoying this week though and I am happy to be feeling better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment